“Top Five” 2015: Week Five
by David Keyes (Diocese of Madison)
Top Five Highlights of Week Five:
1. This week a group of us had a lunch outing to the famous Abruzzi’s for their famous carbonara. Carbonara is an Italian pasta dish based on eggs, cheese, bacon, and black pepper.
2. A group of seminarians went to Norcia, Italy to visit the Benedictine Monks of Norcia. The community began around the year 2000 and interestingly was founded predominantly by Americans.
3. A group of seminarians went to Assisi to pilgrimage at the tombs of Sts. Francis and Claire. The town of Assisi is beautiful and a wonderful weekend retreat from Rome.
4. The entire class made an excursion to the Sicily–Rome American Cemetery and Memorial. This memorial is a cemetery for fallen soldiers during the allied invasion during WWII.
5. In the same excursion, the group made a pilgrimage to the Basilica and tomb of St. Maria Goretti, virgin and martyr, which is right next to the beach in Nettuno, Italy.